Set up Outlook to receive email notifications of new books (print and ebooks) that meet the search criteria built into the links above, or see below for instructions on how to set up your own search criteria feeds.
RSS Feeds for new books by subject
Find a feed and find its URL (such as those linked above). Copy it so you can paste it later. Then from Outlook:
- Click File, then Info, then the Account Settings button, and Account Settings from the drop-down menu
- Click the RSS Feeds tab, then New
- Put in the URL for the feed you want. If you're using one of our pre-defined lists above, copy the link address. If you open the link in a browser window you'll have to understand where the link is in the file. See step 4 in next section on creating your own RSS feeds if you're curious.
- Change the Feed Name (like New Biology Books), then Change Folder you want the messages to go to. The default is Outlook's RSS folder, but you can move it anywhere and even create a new books folder in your inbox for these notices.
- Click OK, then Close
- After a short while, a bunch of links will show up in your designated folder. Then, only as new ones are added to IUCAT will you get new messages.
- Reading the email you receive. It's bare bones. The sender will look like the Author and the subject will look like the Title. Inside the email, you'll see a link to View Article. That takes you to the full IUCAT record where you can see more metadata about the book.
Setting up your own Search Criteria
- Go to IUCAT
- Do your search. Recommendations include: Subject search (keep it a broad and simple term, such as Microbiology); Limit to books (format); Limit to Bloomington (campus); Limit to publication year; this year; then further refine to 2014
- Once you’ve dialed in the search, click in the upper right corner.
- This step is tricky, but doable. In the resulting messy XML file, near the top, copy the whole link URL between <link> tags that begins: http://www.iucat.iu.edu/catalog.rss?commit=search... In the case of the Microbiology search above, the whole link is: http://www.iucat.iu.edu/catalog.rss?commit=search&f%5Bformat%5D%5B%5D=Book&f%5Blibrary_group%5D%5B%5D=Bloomington&f%5Bpub_date%5D%5B%5D=2014&f%5Bpub_date_group%5D%5B%5D=This+year&q=microbiology&search_field=subject&utf8=%E2%9C%93
- Proceed with steps 1-7 above in Outlook instructions.
- Your librarian is available to set these up for you.