A recall is a request to the library to ask another user who has an item checked out to bring it back to the library by a specified date. Place a recall to get access to a book or other item within a defined time period. When the item is returned, you will be notified to pick it up.
- If you wish to obtain an item that is checked out to another user (IUCAT shows the item as "checked out"), place a recall as described on this page. See the "Tips" below.
- If you wish to have an item pulled from the shelf in the library and held for you to pick up, you can use the Request Delivery service within IUCAT. Note that these requests take 4-7 working days to complete, so you may find it quicker to come to the library and locate the item yourself.
- Media and Reserves Services materials are not eligible for recall.
- All books charged out are subject to recall for another library user after 10 DAYS of initial use, regardless of the library user status (i.e., faculty, graduate student, undergraduate student, staff, Indiana resident).
- Before you submit a recall request, you may wish to check the shelves to see if there is another copy available. It may be quicker to use Request Delivery to obtain the item from another IU campus rather than placing a recall request, which may take up to two weeks to fulfill.
- IUB students, faculty and staff: If the item is held only at Bloomington and our copy is checked out, you may place an Interlibrary Loan request for the item.
- Be sure to specify the library where you would like to pick up the material when it becomes available.
- Provide your full email address (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org ). You will receive a copy of your request via email.
- Your Library Identification Number is the barcode number found on your IU ID card or borrower's card. It begins with a 2, followed by a zero, and other numbers.
- The call number of the book is found on the IUCAT record.
WARNING: After submitting your request you must exit the web browser to make sure your personal information is not saved on the computer workstation.