IU Chronology

1785 to 1849 | 1850 to 1899 | 1900 to 1949 | 1950 to 1974 | 1975 to 1999 | 2000 to present

1787
• The Northwest Ordinance passed, creating the Northwest Territory.
 
1800
•  Indiana Territory is created; Vincennes named its capital. 
 
1801
• Vincennes University established.
 
1813
• (May) Capital of the Territory of Indiana moved from Vincennes to Corydon.Indiana University Chronology
 
1816
• First constitution of Indiana adopted, providing for a general system of education ascending from township schools to a state university.
• Indiana admitted as a State by Congress, April 16 (President James Madison signs the bill for this act on April 19).
• Indiana adopts its State constitution, June 28 (superseded in 1851).
 
1818
• State legislature established Monroe County and appointed commissioner to locate and name town where courthouse could be situated.
 
1820
• Legislative act adopted to establish a state seminary, January 20 (Founder's Day).
• (July) Board of Trustees selected location for seminary.
 
1822
• Construction of Seminary Building and Professor's House begins.
 
1823
• Baynard Rush Hall hired as first professor to teach in the Seminary.
 
1824
• Construction of Professor's House, the first building on the Seminary Square campus, completed.
• Classes begin with a first enrollment of ten men.
 
1825
• (December 10) Capital of the Territory of Indiana moved from Corydon to Indianapolis.
• Seminary building completed. Sold and razed in 1858.
 
1827
• Survey for the National Road in Indiana is completed.
• Hanover College established.
 
1828
• Stage line opens from Madison to Indianapolis.
• (January 24) Legislative act adopted changing State Seminary to Indiana College.
 
1829
• Andrew Wylie (1829-51) named first president. Wylie accepted the presidency in March 1829 after he was elected by the Board of Trustees on May 4, 1828. He arrived in Bloomington from Washington, Pennsylvania on October 9, 1829 and was inaugurated on October 29, 1829.
 
1830
• Construction begins on Indiana's "Michigan Road."
• First graduating class (James Wilson Dunn, Michael Hummer, James S. Rollins, William Hamilton Stockwell).
• Preparatory Department established (abolished 1890).
• Construction of First College building started at Seminary Square.
 
1832
• Wabash College established.
 
1834
• The National Road in Indiana is completed.
• Franklin College established.
 

People on roof of Wylie House, undated

 
1835
• Wylie House constructed at 317 East Second Street.
 
1836
• The first stage coach might have come to Bloomington this year.
• First College building completed (destroyed by fire in 1854).
 
1837
• DePauw University established.
 
1838
• (February 15) Legislative act adopted changing Indiana College to Indiana University.
• First boarding house and dormitory building completed on the Seminary Square campus. The building is the first "dormitory" built and operated by Indiana University, and was attached to the 1824 Professor's House.
 
1840
• First laboratory building completed on the Seminary Square campus.
 
1842
• Notre Dame University established.
• School of Law established (suspended 1877-89; revived Feb. 15, 1889).
 
1846
• Taylor University established.
 
• President Andrew Wylie dies.
 
1852
• (June 17) Legislative act adopted recognizing Indiana University as "The University of the State."
• Alfred Ryors (1852-53) named second president.
• Normal Department and Model School established (abandoned in 1856 and 1857 respectively).
 
1853
• (October) First train (New Albany and Salem Railroad Co.) arrived in Bloomington over what would become known as the Monon Route (a.k.a. "College Road," "Jerk Water," and "Twin Rust Streak").
• William Mitchell Daily (1853-59) named third president.
 
1854
• (April 11) First College building destroyed by fire.
"Society of Alumni" established.
 
1855
• Butler University established.
• Second College building constructed (used for Preparatory Department, 1885-90; sold to Bloomington School Board for use as a high school, 1897). Since this was the first building constructed after the establishment of Indiana University, it was also known as the First University Building.
 
1859
• Valparaiso University established.
Theophilus Adam Wylie, circa 1867?• Theophilus A. Wylie served six months as acting president.
• John Hiram Lathrop (1859-60) named fourth president.
 
1860
• Cyrus Nutt (1860-75) named fifth president.
 
1862
• Colonel Richard Owen appointed commander of Camp Morton, Indianapolis, a facility that housed Confederate prisoners during the Civil War.
 
1865
• Indiana State University established.
• IU president made an ex officio member of the State Board of Education.
 
1867
• Sarah Parke Morrison becomes first woman to attend IU
• The Indiana Student (now the Indiana Daily Student) first published (February 22).
• Men's baseball team becomes IU's first known athletic activity.
• (March 8) Legislative act begins annual appropriations.
 
1869
• Purdue University established.
• Sarah Parke Morrison becomes first woman graduate.
 
1874
• Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology established.
• Science Hall at Seminary Square completed (destroyed by fire 1883).
 
1875
• Lemuel Moss (1875-84) named sixth president.
 
1883
• (March 8) Endowment act passed levying one-half of one cent on each $100 taxable property for thirteen years.
• Charles Henry Gilbert becomes first to receive Ph.D. degree.
• Following fire at Seminary Square, citizens of Monroe County pledge $50,000 to the university.
• Dunn's Woods, located east of downtown Bloomington, purchased from Moses F. Dunn.
• (May 12) First intercollegiate game (baseball) played by an IU team (IU vs. Asbury University).
 
1884
• Wylie and Owen Halls constructed on new campus (named University Park).
• Elisha Ballantine named acting president.
 
1885
• David Starr Jordan (1885-91) named seventh president.
• Mitchell Hall constructed on new campus (named Maxwell Hall until 1894; razed in 1991).
 
1886
• Men's football team started.
• Reorganization of curriculum to major subject and departmental basis.
 
1887
• Meadie Hawkins Evermann becomes the first married woman to graduate from IU (AB in Biology).
 
1890
• Department of Physical Training for Women established, with gym in Wylie Hall.
• Summer School established.
• Library Hall constructed (renamed Maxwell Hall in 1894).Maxwell Hall, circa 1910.
• Preparatory Department abolished.
 
1891
• John Merle Coulter (1891-93) named eighth president.
• Legislative act adopted providing for election by alumni of three trustees.
• Department of Physical Training for Men established, with gym in Owen Hall.
• First IU extension course offered in Indianapolis.
• First IU vs. Purdue football game (See: 1925).
 
1892
• Men's Gymnasium completed (converted into a carpenter's shop after 1896, razed in 1932).
• Tamar Althouse becomes first woman to graduate from the School of Law.
 
1893
• Joseph Swain (1893-1902) named ninth president.
• Arda Know becomes first woman to be President of the Senior Class (1893-1894 school year).
 
1894
• Kirkwood Hall constructed.
• Campus yearbook, Arbutus, first published.
• Preston E. Eagleson becomes the first African-American to be on an IU intercollegiate team. He played football on the 1893, 1894, and 1895 teams.
 
1895
• Trustees purchase 10 acres north and east of campus from Moses F. Dunn (Dunn cemetary excluded).
• Biological Station established at Turkey Lake (Towinana in 1899).
• Act for annual tax of one-fifteenth of a mill for the University Biological Field Station established at Turkey Lake.
• Marcellus Neal becomes the first African-American to graduate from IU (B.A..in Mathematics).
 
1896
• Women's Gym moved to Mitchell Hall.
• Second Men's Gymnasium constructed (renamed Assembly Hall in 1917; razed in 1938).
 
1897
• Second Power Plant built.
• Florence Reid Myrick becomes first woman Editor-In-Chief of The Student (later The Indiana Daily Student) (1897-1898 school year).
 
1898
• Ball State University established.
 
1899
• Biological Field Station moved to Winona Lake.
 
• Kirkwood Observatory constructed.
• (February 7) Wylie Hall partially destroyed by fire.
• Marie Louise Boisen becomes the first woman Editor-In-Chief of the Arbutus yearbook (1900 Arbutus).
 
1901
• Men's basketball team started.
• Mary Bidwell Breed becomes the first woman to become a Dean (Dean of Women on August 1).
 
1902
• William Lowe Bryan (1902-37) named tenth president.
• Science Hall constructed (renamed Ernest Hiram Lindley Hall in 1957).
• John Herron Art Institute established (became a part of IU in 1967).
 
1903
• Tax levy for Indiana University increased to one-tenth of a mill.
• School of Medicine established.
• Alpha Kappa Nu, the first African American fraternity, formed at Indiana University.
 
1904
• Graduate School established.
• Leroy Samse and Tad Shideler become the first IU athletes to win medals in the Olympics. They both won silver medals.
 
1905
• Third Power Plant built.
 
1906
• Student Building constructed with funds from private subscriptions. Pool House added to north side in 1938.
Alpha Hall, circa 1908• Alpha Hall opens. The building was not constructed on University-owned property, and was not owned by IU until 1936.
• Preston E. Eagleson becomes the first African American to receive a Master’s degree at IU. His degree was in Philosophy.
 
1907
• Second Library Building completed. (Eastern wing added in 1926. Renamed Student Services Building in 1972, Joseph Amos Franklin Hall in 1988.)
• (circa Fall 1907) The first Book Nook opened.
 
1908
• School of Education established.
• Indiana Medical College of Indianapolis incorporated into IU School of Medicine.
• Theodore F. Rose Well House built with portals of the Second College Building.
• Effa Funk Muhse becomes first woman to receive a PhD from IU (Zoology). She also received Zoology degrees from IU in 1903 (AB) and 1906 (AM).
 
1909
• The Indiana Union for Men established.
 
1910
• University Water Works established.
• Biology Hall completed (renamed Swain Hall East in 1957).
• The United States census establishes the center of population of the country in Bloomington.
 
1911
• Real estate given by Dr. and Mrs. Robert W. Long for Robert W. Long Hospital in connection with School of Medicine in Indianapolis.
• (January 5) Kappa Alpha Nu formed (name changed to Kappa Alpha Psi in 1915).
 
1912
• Extension Division established (renamed Continuing Education in 1965, School of Continuing Studies in 1975).
 
1913
• University tax levy raised to two and four-fifths cents on each $100.
 
1914
• Training School for Nurses established (renamed School of Nursing in 1956).
 
1915
• (January 1) "Kappa Alpha Nu" changed to "Kappa Alpha Psi."
 
1916
• First extension office opened in Indianapolis.
 
1917
• Anderson University established.
• Department of Military Science established.
• Fort Wayne Extension Center established.
• Construction of men's gym completed.
 
1919
• Indianapolis School of Medicine Building completed (renamed Charles P. Emerson Building in 1961).
• Frances Marshall becomes the first African-American woman to graduate from IU (B.A. in English).
 
1920
• School of Commerce and Finance established (renamed School of Business Administration in 1933, School of Business in 1938, Kelley School of Business in 1998).
 
1921
• School of Music established.
• Three-year Memorial Fund Campaign started.
 
1922
• First classes offered in South Bend.
• Memorial campaign launched. Funds raised would be used to build Memorial Hall, the 10th Street Memorial Stadium, and the Indiana Memorial Union.
• Lillian Gay Berry and Juliette Maxwell become the first women to achieve the rank of Professor. They were both appointed on the same day, June 2, 1922.
 
1923
• Commerce Building constructed (renamed Business Administration Building in 1935, Social Science Building in 1941, William A. Rawles Hall in 1971).
 
1924
• James Whitcomb Riley Hospital opened in Indianapolis. Added: Kiwanis wing (1930); Rotary wing (1931); Therapeutic pool (1935).
• President's House completed (renamed William and Charlotte Lowe Bryan House on April 25, 1970).
• Washington Hall constructed. This men's dormitory building was renamed South Hall in 1925, Ulysses H. Smith Hall in 1959. Washington Hall was the first dormitory constructed on the current Indiana University campus.
• Nellie Showers Teter becomes the first woman to a member of the IU Board of Trustees.
 
1925
• Memorial Hall opens. It was the first women's dormitory owned and operated by the University.
• Memorial Stadium (renamed Tenth Street Stadium in 1971) completed. (Stadium demolished in 1982 for construction of Arboretum).
• Indiana Dental College became the Indiana University School of Dentistry.
• Indiana University finances placed on the budget system.
• First IU vs. Purdue Old Oaken Bucket football game (See: 1891).
 
1928
• Coleman Hospital and Ball Nurses' Home built in Indianapolis.Nurses at Ball Residence, January 1942
• Field House completed (renamed Ora L. Wildermuth Intramural Center in 1971).
 
1929
• Fourth Power Plant built.
 
1931
• Rotary Riley Convalescent Home completed in Indianapolis.
• Chemistry Building completed.
 
1932
• Indiana University Memorial Union completed (additions in 1939 and 1946).
• Opened in the IMU: Cafetaria (Apr. 15); Bookstore (Apr. 25); Men's Grill (Apr. 30); Colonial Tea Room (June 3).
• Men's wrestling and track teams win NCAA championships.
• Ivan Fuqua becomes the first IU athlete to win a gold medal at the Olympics.
 
1933
• South Bend-Mishawaka Extension Center established.
 
1934
• School of Dentistry building completed on Medical Center campus at Indianapolis.
 
1935
• Alpha Hall condemned for housing; purchased by IU in 1936 for classroom and office use; razed in 1961.
 
1936
• Administration Building (renamed William Lowe Bryan Administration Building in 1957), School of Music Building, Forest Hall (renamed Goodbody Hall in 1962) completed.
• IU Foundation established.
 
1937
• Clinical Building completed in Indianapolis.
• Herman B Wells named acting president.
• School of Medicine Building at Bloomington completed (renamed Burton D. Myers Hall in 1958).
• IU Flying Club established in the fall.
 
1938
• Herman B Wells (1938-62) named eleventh president.
• School of Business established.
• University School (renamed Wendell W. Wright School of Education Building in 1979) and Stores and Services Building (renamed Ernie Pyle Hall in 1954) completed.
• John Bradford donated 900 acres of family land to IU (by 1956 Bradford Woods recreational area was enlarged to 2,300 acres).
• Men's cross country team wins NCAA championship.
 
1939
• Calumet Extension Building constructed for Northwest campus.
Goethe Link Observatory completed. Donated to IU in 1948.
 
1940
Bloomington
Alfred C. Kinsey Institute established.
• Beech Hall (renamed Morrison Hall in 1942) and Sycamore Hall added to Memorial Hall and Goodbody Hall to form the Agnes E. Wells Quandrangle.
• North Hall (renamed Cravens Hall in 1959) and West Hall (renamed Edmondson Hall in 1959) added to men's residence complex (renamed Collins Living Learning Center in 1981).
• Business and Economics Building constructed (renamed Woodburn Hall in 1971).
• Men's basketball and cross country teams won NCAA championships.
 
Fort Wayne
• Luther Institute Building is purchased by IU.
 
South Bend
• First full-time director appointed for South Bend-Mishawaka Center.
 
1941
Bloomington
• IU Auditorium completed.
• One of the world's first cyclotrons opens at IU (shut down on February 6, 1968).
 
Indianapolis
• The Normal College of the American Gymnastic Union becomes part of IU (renamed School of Physical Education in 1973).
 
Southeast
• Falls City Area Center established at Jeffersonville (renamed Indiana University Southeastern Center in 1946).
 
1942
Bloomington
• Junior Division established (renamed University Division in 1970).
• Professor Woodburn's home on North College Avenue donated.
• Men's cross country team wins NCAA championship.
 
1944
Inter-campus
• Graham Edward Martin (BA 1941) becomes one of the “Golden 13” (the first 13 African-American officers in the U.S. Navy).
 
Indianapolis
• Benjamin Harrison Law School acquired.
 
1945
Bloomington
• School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation established.
• University Airport constructed (now the site of Tulip Tree Apartments).
• IU wins Big 10 football championship.
 
Kokomo
• Construction of Extension Center begins.
 
1946
Bloomington
• Dormitory unit completed (renamed John W. Ashton Center in 1980).
• Several army buildings moved to campus for housing and classroom use.
 
Indianapolis
• Maennerchor Building purchased for School of Law.
 
Kokomo
• Kingston-Seiberling mansion purchased.
 
1947
Bloomington
• First IU president Andrew Wylie's home purchased (restored 1961-65).
• Majority of Trees Center razed.
• Botany greenhouse occupied adjacent to the property that would become the Hilltop Garden.
• Bill Garrett becomes the first African American to play basketball at IU (he was not, as previously thought, the first African-American to play basketball in the Big Ten. That distinction is held by Richard T. Culberson who played at the University of Iowa during the 1944-1945 season).
 
1948
Bloomington
• America's first degree-granting folklore program initiated.
• Archives of Folk and Primitive Music founded (renamed Archives of Traditional Music in 1965).
• East Hall constructed (burned in 1968).
• Link Observatory and income-producing property for its upkeep donated by Goethe and Helen Link.
 
Northwest
• Gary College and IU combine facilities and programs.
 
1949
.Inter-campus
• Geologic Field Station established in Cardwell, Montana on 60 acres given by the state of Montana.
• George Taliaferro, who completed his degree in 1951, becomes the first African-American to be drafted by the NFL
 
Bloomington
• Construction of Men's Quadrangle (renamed Joseph H. Wright Quadrangle in 1959) and University Apartments completed.
 
Inter-campus
IU Press established.
 
Board of Health Building, 1941 (Fesler Hall)Indianapolis
• Medical Center acquired Laboratory Science Building from State Board of Health (renamed James W. Fesler Hall in 1959).
 
Bloomington
• The School of Education addition to the Univeristy School building was completed.
 
1951
Bloomington
• School of Letters summer program established in Graduate School (ended in 1973).
• First pre-optometry courses offered in the fall.
• Howdy Wilcox Jr., Executive Director of Indiana University Student Foundation, began Little 500. Schwinn bikes used 1951-1953.
• University School's Univee Field (now the site of Tulip Tree Apartments) is dedicated and first used on September 14.
 
1952
Bloomington
• Indiana Memorial Union organization admits women for the first time.
• First greenhouse installed at Hilltop Garden & Nature Center.
 
1953
Bloomington
• Men's basketball team wins NCAA championship.
 
Indianapolis
• Student Union Building at Medical Center opened.
 
1954
Bloomington
• 120 acres north of campus purchased from Faris estate.
• From 1954 to 1999 Roadmaster bicycles used in the Little 500 race.
 
1955
Bloomington
• Married housing unit completed (renamed Hepburn, Nutt, Bicknell, and Banta Apartments in 1959).
• Jordon Hall of Biology and Smithwood Hall (renamed Daniel Read Hall in 1960; rededicated 1962) completed.
• First Miniature 500 held (a.k.a. "Mini 500" and "Minny").
 
1956
Bloomington
• School of Law building completed.
• Beck Chapel constructed.
 
Indianapolis
• School of Nursing established.
 
1957
Bloomington
• Evermann Apartments completed.
 
1958
Indianapolis
• Alfred S. Warthin Apartments and Medical Science Building completed.
 
Fort Wayne
• IU and Purdue programs combined.
 
1959
Bloomington
• Ballantine Hall and Tower Quadrangle (renamed Nellie S. Teter Quadrangle in 1961).
• Biddle opens.
 
Indianapolis
• Division of Allied Health Sciences established in School of Medicine.
 
Northwest
• Tamarack Hall completed.
 
1960
Bloomington
Lilly Library completed.
• The Gardenhouse built at Hilltop Garden & Nature Center.
• Seventeenth Street Football Stadium (renamed Indiana Memorial Stadium in 1971) and Athletic Field House completed.
• Married Student Housing complex constructed (renamed Redbud Hill Apartments in 1961).
 
1961
Bloomington
• Graduate School of Business established.
• Woodlawn Dormitories (Morgan, Brown, Monroe, and Green halls) and Ruby C. Mason cooperative housing unit completed.
• Showalter Fountain completed.
 
1962
Inter-campus
• Elvis Jacob Stahr, Jr. (1962-68) named twelfth president.IU President Elvis J. Stahr, 1962
• Herman B Wells named University Chancellor.
 
Bloomington
• Fine Arts Building, Geology Building, Campus View Apartments, and Residence Halls Administration Building completed.
• Royer Pool completed.
 
South Bend
• South Bend-Mishawaka Campus Building completed.
 
1963
• Ivy Tech Community College established.
 
Bloomington
• Aerospace Research Applications Center established under contract with NASA (moved to Indianapolis Center for Advanced Research at IUPUI in 1976). Construction of Psychology Building, Administrative Services Building, Radio and Television Building, and John W. Foster Quadrangle completed.
 
Northwest
• Gary and Calumet campuses combined under single administration named IU Northwest.
 
1964
Bloomington
• Paul V. McNutt Quadrangle and new University School completed.
• Poplars Midtown Motor Hotel built. Purchased by IU in 1972 and renamed Poplars Research and Conference Center.
 
Fort Wayne
• Kettler Hall completed.
 
1965
Bloomington
• Wendell L. Willkie and Herman T. Briscoe quadrangles and Tulip Tree House completed.
 
Kokomo
• Kokomo Campus Building completed.
 
1966
Bloomington
• Graduate Library School established (renamed School of Library and Information Science in 1980).
• First University owned campus bus system established.
• School of Business Building, Student Health Center, and Forest Quadrangle completed.
 
South Bend
• Greenlawn Hall opened.
 
1967
Bloomington
• University acquires 245 acres on Monroe Reservoir to house Biological Research Station.
 
Indianapolis
• Herron School of Art becomes affiliated with IU.
 
Northwest
• First commencement held.
 
South Bend
• First commencement held.
 
1968
Inter-campus
• Herman B Wells named interim president.
• Joseph Lee Sutton (1968-71) named thirteenth president.
• University's 150th Birthday Drive publicly announced.
 
 IU Goes to the Rose Bowl, 1968. Publication regarding the 1967 football team and their trip to the 1968 Rose Bowl. Cheerleader Connie Clark on cover.Bloomington
• Optometry Building and Speech and Hearing Building completed.
• Barn 1 built by Botany Department's carpenter at Hilltop Garden & Nature Center.
• East Hall destroyed by fire.
• Men's swimming team wins NCAA championship.
• Football team plays in Rose Bowl.
 
Indianapolis
• Preventive Dentistry Research Building in Medical Center and Phase I of University Hospital completed.
 
Fort Wayne
• First commencement held.
 
1969
Bloomington
• Third Library Building completed.
• Second Library Building damaged by fire (now Franklin Hall).
• Eigenmann Graduate Residence Center completed.
 
Indianapolis
• IU and Purdue merge into IUPUI, with IU given administrative and fiscal control.
 
Northwest
• Academic, library, and student activities facilities added.
 
Southeast
• First commencement held at Jeffersonville.
 
1970
Inter-campus
• Sesquicentennial celebrated.
 
Bloomington
• Afro-American Studies program established (renamed Department of African American and African Diaspora Studies in 2002).
• Credit Union Building completed.
• Men's swimming team wins NCAA championship.
 
Indianapolis
• First commencement held.
• IUPUI Columbus Center opens.
• New building for School of Law in Indianapolis completed.
 
Kokomo
• First commencement held.
 
1971
Inter-campus
• John W. Ryan named fourteenth president.
• Mary Scifres becomes first woman President of the IU Student Association (1971-1972 school year).
 
Bloomington
• Assembly Hall, Musical Arts Center, Glenn Black Archaeological Laboratory, and Publications/Printing Services Building completed.
• IU Cyclotron Facility completed (dedicated on April 23, 1976. Building addition dedications in 1988, 1991, and 1994).
• Metz Carillon donated by Arthur R. Metz Foundation.
• AIAW begins first intercollegiate competition for women.
 
Indianapolis
• Medical Research Facilities Building completed.
• Undergraduate campus consisting of three new buildings opens.
 
1972
Inter-campus
 
Bloomington
• Second Library Building renovated as Student Services Building (renamed Joseph Amos Franklin Hall in 1988).
• Men's swimming team wins NCAA championship.
 
Indianapolis
• IU School of Liberal Arts, Purdue School of Science, and Purdue School of Engineering and Technology established.
 
South Bend
• Northside Hall addition completed.
 
1973
Bloomington
Black Culture Center established.
• Women's Studies Program established.
Latino Culture Center established.
• Men's swimming team wins NCAA championship.
 
Indianapolis
• School of Physical Education established.
• Nursing Building completed.
• IUPUI Columbus Center moved to facilities in Bakalar Technical Training Building.
 
Southeast
• Southeast campus at New Albany opened.
 
1974
Inter-campus
• Administrative reorganization: regional administration phased out, Bloomington and Indianapolis organized as core campuses.
• IU and Purdue united under one chancellor
 
Bloomington
• School of Journalism established within COAS. (Became independent school in 1989.)
• Trees Center razed.
• Showalter House constructed by IU Foundation.
 
Indianapolis
• Administration Building completed.
 
East
• Richmond facility opened.
 
Inter-campus
• School of Continuing Studies established.
 
Bloomington
School of Optometry established.
 
Indianapolis
• Engineering and Technology Building completed.
 
East
• New building at Richmond completed.
 
South Bend
• Associates Complex acquired.
 
Southeast
• Hillside Hall and Life Science Building completed.
 
1976
Bloomington
• Men's basketball team wins NCAA championship.
 
Fort Wayne
• The Fort Wayne Art Institute School of Fine Arts merges with IUPU at Fort Wayne.
 
Northwest
• Hawthorne laboratory and classroom building completed.
 
Southeast
• University Center completed.
 
1977
Bloomington
• New Geology Core Storage Building opens.
Andrew Wylie House entered on National Register of Historic Places.
 
Indianapolis
• Riley House Intensive Care Clinic, Parent Education and Preparation Center, and Parent Care Unit completed.
• School of Social Service renamed School of Social Work.
 
East
• New IHETS TV tower installed.
 
Northwest
• Apartment Building named Lindenwood Hall.
 
South Bend
• Part of IUSB moved into sections of Associated Properties.
 
1978
Bloomington
• Animal Care Building completed.
• Breaking Away filmed. Filming of Breaking Away, 1978
 
1979
Bloomington
• Music Practice Building completed.
• Old Crescent buildings (Franklin Hall, Student Building, Maxwell Hall, Owen Hall, Wylie Hall, Kirkwood Hall, Lindley Hall, Rose Well House, and Kirkwood Observatory) listed on Indiana Register of Historic Places.
• Football team wins Holiday Bowl.
 
Indianapolis
• Sports Center completed.
 
1980
Bloomington
• Visitors Center opens.
• Old Crescent buildings placed on National Register of Historic Places.
 
Indianapolis
• Riley Hospital Pediatric Cardiac Catheterization Clinic and Laboratory completed.
 
Kokomo
• New Science Building completed.
 
1981
Bloomington
• School of Journalism becomes systemwide school.
• School of Music students present first performance by a university company at Metropolitan Opera House.
• Little 500/Soccer Stadium opens (renamed Bill Armstrong Stadium in 1983).
• IU Art Museum completed.
• Men's basketball team wins NCAA championship.
 
Indianapolis
• University Townhouses completed.
 
Fort Wayne
• Trustees of IU and Purdue recognize constitution joining their faculties under one governing body.
• Medical Education Program established in School of Medicine.
 
1982
Inter-Campus
• Barbara Toman becomes the first woman at IU to receive a Rhodes Scholarship.
• First year that female students outnumbered male students (1982-1983 school year).
 
Bloomington
• Memorial service held for composer and IU alumnus Hoagy Carmichael.
• Composer/conductor Leonard Bernstein in residence as first fellow of Institute for Advanced Study.
• William Hammond Mathers Museum completed.
• American Studies program in Yugoslavia (IU/Zagreb University) established.
• Women's tennis team wins AIAW championship.
• Men's soccer team wins NCAA championship.
 
Indianapolis
• Natatorium/Gymnasium, Track and Field Stadium, Classroom/Office II Building completed.
 
Kokomo
• Fifteen acres acquired adjacent to campus.
 
1983
Bloomington
• Institutes established for American Theatre Studies, Molecular and Cellular Biology, and Materials Research.
• Men's soccer team wins NCAA championship.
• Dale Lisby builds Barn 2 as an addition to Barn 1 at Hilltop Garden & Nature Center.
 
Indianapolis
• Elks Cancer Research Center opens.
• Institute for Humanities Research established.
 
Fort Wayne
• Walter E. Helmke Library Endowment established.
 
Northwest
• Laboratories for Environmental Research and Great Lakes Center for Public Affairs and Administration established in SPEA.
 
1984
Bloomington
• American Indian Studies Institute established.
 
Indianapolis
• Hudson Institute moved to IUPUI.
 
Kokomo
• Nine acres adjacent to campus acquired.
 
Northwest
• Wells Fargo Gamefield opens.
 
1986
Inter-campus
• Herman B Wells Program for Outstanding Young Scholars, a four-year scholarship program, announced.
 
1987
Inter-campus
• Thomas Ehrlich becomes fifteenth president.
• Lesley Bush becomes the first woman inducted into the IU Athletic Hall of Fame.
 
Bloomington
• Men's basketball team wins NCAA championship.
• Construction of the Sample Gates completed.
 
Indianapolis
• Center on Philanthropy at IUPUI established with $4 million grant from Lilly Endowment.
• Tenth Pan American games held.
 
1988
Inter-campus
• IU celebrates 150th anniversary of university status.
 
Fort Wayne
• Campus grows to 565 acres with the gift of McKay farm.
 
1989
Kokomo
• Kelley Student Center and Laboratory Building dedicated.
 
South Bend
• Franklin D. Schurz Library dedicated.
 
IU Student Building, not after 19261990
Bloomington
• School of Fine Arts renamed the Henry Radford Hope School of Fine Arts.
• The Student Building catches fire during renovations.
 
1991
Northwest
• Marram Hall opens.
 
Bloomington
• First IU Dance Marathon.
 
1992
Indianapolis
• IU Hospital and Outpatient Center completed at the IU Medical Center.
 
Southeast
• Knobview Hall opens.
 
1993
Bloomington
• Wendell W. Wright Education Building dedicated.
• New classroom and office building built at Hilltop Garden & Nature Center.
 
Fort Wayne
• Ernest E. Williams Theater dedicated.
 
1994
Inter-campus
• Myles Brand becomes sixteenth president.
 
Bloomington
• School of Music graduate program tied for first place with Juilliard and Eastman in U.S. News and World Report ranking.
• Professor of English Yusef Komunyakaa wins Pulitzer Prize for poetry.
 
Indianapolis
• University Library dedicated.
 
South Bend
• 23 riverfront acres acquired adjacent to campus.
 
1995
Bloomington
• Student Recreational Sports Center opens.
• Bess Meshulam Simon Music Library and Recital Center opens.
 
Kokomo
• New library opens.
 
1996
Inter-campus
• HEC approves Associate of Arts degree.
 
Bloomington
• John Mellencamp Pavilion, the Indiana University Advanced Research and Technology Institute, and the IU Research Park open.
• Dalai Lama visits Bloomington campus.
• Wylie Hall rededicated following completion of 3-year renovation.
 
Indianapolis
• Indiana Cancer Pavilion dedicated.
Ryan White Center begins construction.
• IU Hospital, Methodist Health Group and Riley Hospital for Children consolidate to form Clarian Health.
 
Southeast
• F. C. Richardson installed as Chancellor.
 
1997
Inter-campus
• Trustees approve observation of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day for all campuses beginning 1998.
Center for Mathematics Education established to improve K-12 education throughout Indiana.
 
Bloomington
• Sears and IU Business School establish Center for Education and Research in Retailing.
Price Waterhouse Center for Information Technology established at IU School of Business to help further the development of the technical proficiency of future accounting and business consulting professionals.
• School of Business becomes the Kelley School of Business, in honor of philanthropist and alumnus E. W. Kelley.
• The Jack and Linda Gill Center for Instrumentation and Measurement Science established.
Indianapolis.
• Cancer Research Institute dedicated.
 
South Bend
• Kenneth Perrin installed as Chancellor.
Phi Sigma Sigma opens the campus's first sorority house.
 
1998
Inter-campus
• IU and Microsoft form agreement, making IU the first university in the U.S. to make Microsoft's software available to students, faculty and staff.
 
Bloomington
• Asian Culture Center established.
• First Barbara Shalucha award given.
• Congress awards IU $1 million to establish the Midwest Proton Radiation Institute, the first cancer treatment center of its kind in the Midwest, at the Cyclotron facility.
 
Indianapolis
• The Advanced Research and Technology Institute moves its operational base from Bloomington to Indianapolis to develop its relationship with the School of Medicine.
 
Kokomo
• The Center for Regional Campus Excellence launched to examine best practices in higher education across the U.S. and develop models of excellence.
 
South Bend
• Wiekamp Hall dedicated.
• IUSB becomes first regional campus with an endowed chair after receiving a gift from William and Kathryn Shields providing the School of Nursing dean with an annual stipend to support instruction and scholarship.
 
1999
Inter-campus
• IU receives $30 million grant from Lilly Endowment for IT research initiative.
• University Chancellor Herman B Wells named IU's Man of the Century.
 
Bloomington
• Establishment of School of Informatics approved.
• Graduate student Won Joon Yoon shot and killed by white supremacist Benjamin Smith; Memorial fund established in Yoon's honor.
Latino Studies program established.
 
Indianapolis
IU Cancer Center receives National Cancer Center research designation.
 
Gary
• Bruce Bergland named Chancellor.
• U.S. Dept. of Education awards campus $308,000 to expand and provide additional components to its successful Urban Teacher Education Program.
 
Inter-campus
• University Chancellor Herman B Wells dies at 97.The March 20, 2000 edition of The Indiana Daily Student with headline on death of Herman B Wells.
 
Bloomington
• IU partners with Sun Microsystems Inc. to create the Center for Excellence in order to offer IU researchers and students more powerful resources in the areas of high performance computing, networking and storage, data mining and visualization.
• After 29 years, Bobby Knight fired from his position as men's basketball coach; Mike Davis named interim coach.
• Herman B Wells plaza dedicated.
• Mongoose bicycles used in the Little 500 race, 2000-2006.
 
Indianapolis
• School of Liberal Arts receives largest gift to date from retired steelworker Sam Masarachia.
• Trustees approve plans for construction of the Research Institute II for housing School of Medicine research laboratories and offices.
• Lilly Endowment awards $105 million to support the Indiana Genomics Initiative.
 
Kokomo
• Ruth Person installed as Chancellor
 
2001
Bloomington
• Sharon Brehm installed as successor to Chancellor Kenneth R. R. Gros Louis.
• Mike Davis named Men's Basketball coach.
 
2002
Bloomington
• Gerry DiNardo named 25th head football coach.
• Effective December 31, President Myles Brand resigns. IUPUI Chancellor Gerald Bepko named interim president.
• Latino Faculty and Staff Council established.
• Ruth Lilly Auxiliary Library Facility dedicated.
• Graduate and Executive Education Center dedicated at the Kelley School of Business.
 
South Bend
Una Mae Reck succeeds Chancellor Kenneth Perrin.
 
Southeast
• Sandra R. Patterson-Randles succeeds Chancellor F.C. Richardson.
 
2003
Inter-campus
Adam W. Herbert named IU'S 17th president.
• The School of Informatics, IU's first new university-wide school in 28 years, dedicated on the Bloomington campus January 30.
• The Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research (CACR) established on both the Indianapolis and Bloomington campuses.
• John Slattery succeeds George E. Walker as dean of graduate studies.
 
Bloomington
• The Research and Education Networking Information Sharing and Analysis Center (REN-ISAC) established at IU through an agreement with the National Infrastructure Protection Center (NIPC).
• After 31 years of service, and winning his 6th national title, soccer coach Jerry Yeagley retires; longtime assistant Mike Freitag named replacement coach.
• Sharon Brehm, IUB chancellor and IU vice president for academic affairs, resigns.
Lauren Robel named 15th - and first female - dean of the School of Law.
 
Southeast
• Groundbreaking for new library.
 
Fort Wayne
• Barry Kanpol named campus dean of the School of Education.
 
Indianapolis
• School of Medicine dedicates its newest facility, Research II.
• Charles Bantz installed as IUPUI's fourth chancellor.
 
2004
Inter-campus
• J. Thomas Forbes, former IU trustee and assistant vice president, returns to IU as executive director of state relations.
• Janet Rabinowitch named director of the IU Press.
 
Bloomington
Rick Greenspan named Athletics Director.
• Terry Hoeppener named IU's 26th head football coach.
 
Indianapolis
• Sociology professor Robert White named dean of the School of Liberal Arts.
• Marion Broome begins her tenure as the fifth dean and second university dean of the IU School of Nursing.
 
Fort Wayne
IPFW celebrates 40 years.
 
2005
Inter-campus
• IU becomes first in nation to offer a Ph.D. in Informatics.
• Bradley Hamm named dean of School of Journalism.
• Mike Sample named vice president of university relations.
• Patricia Steele named interim dean of libraries.
 
Bloomington
Main Library renamed in honor of former President and University Chancellor Herman B Wells.
• Dan Smith appointed Dean of the Kelley School of Business.
• School of Music renamed Jacobs School of Music in honor of Barbara B. and David H. Jacobs following their relationship with IU and their $40.6 million donation to the school.
 
Indianapolis
• Groundbreaking for expansion of Cancer Center.
 
2006
Inter-campus
• Trustees name long-time administrator and professor Kenneth R. R. Gros Louis "University Chancellor", a title previously held by Herman B Wells.
 
Bloomington
Center on Diversity established.
• James C. Wimbush named dean of the Graduate School.
• Daniel Callison named dean of the School of Continuing Studies.
• Mike Davis resigns as basketball coach. Kelvin Sampson is hired to fill the vacancy.
• Lilly Library acquires world's largest collection of mechanical puzzles.
 
Indianapolis
• Mathew J. Palakal appointed associate dean for Graduate Studies and Research for the School of Informatics.
• IU announces Cancer Center name will be changed to the IU Melvin and and Bren Simon Cancer Center, following a gift of $50 million from the couple.
 
South Bend and South East.
• Trustees approve on-campus housing.
 
2007
Inter-campus
• Board of Trustees select Michael A. McRobbie as IU’s 18th President.
 
Bloomington
• Robert M. Goodman named dean of the School of Heath, Physical Education, and Recreation.
• Robert B. Schnabel succeeds J. Michael Dunn as dean of the School of Informatics.
• Football coach Terry Hoeppner dies after long battle with cancer.
• Karen Hanson named provost and executive vice president.
• Simon Hall dedicated.
• Football team selected to play in Insight Bowl, making first bowl appearance since 1993.
• Little 500 riders return to racing with Schwinn bicycles.
 
Indianapolis
• Gary R Roberts named dean of the School of Law.
 
2008
Inter-campus
School of Education celebrates 100 years.
 
Bloomington
• Basketball coach Kelvin Sampson resigns following NCAA investigation into rules violations.
Tom Crean named 28th men’s basketball coach.
• Matthew Auer named dean of Hutton Honors College.
• School of Optometry dedicates the Atwater Eye Care Center.
 
Indianapolis
Center for Criminal Justice Research created with the goal of providing thorough and impartial research on criminal justice and public safety issues.
 
East
Nasser Paydar is chosen as Chancellor.
 
2009
Bloomington
• Fred Glass replaces Rick Greenspan as Athletic Director.
• Elinor Ostrom, Arthur F. Bentley Professor of Political Science and Professor of Public and Environmental Affairs, wins the Nobel Prize in Economic Science.
• Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center celebrates 40 years.
• Brenda Johnson name Ruth Lilly Dean of Libraries.
• Todd Yeagley, former player, assistant coach and son of former soccer coach Jerry Yeagley, named soccer coach, replacing Mike Freitag.
 
Northwest
• Campus celebrates its 50th Anniversary.
 
Fort Wayne
• Medical Education Center dedicated.
 
2010
Inter-campus
• JT Forbes named head of Alumni Association.
• IU President Michael A. McRobbie becomes a U.S. citizen.
 
Bloomington
• Association of College and Research Libraries names IUB Libraries the winner of its Excellence in Academic Libraries Award in the university division.
• Campus reestablishes the tradition of student speakers at commencement.
• Groundbreaking for Cyberinfrastructure Building.
• Cook Hall dedicated.
 
Indianapolis
Africana Studies program enrolls first students.
• William Crutchfield's Punctuation Spire installed in Campus Center.
 
Fort Wayne
• Richard T. Doermer School of Business and Management Sciences name changed to Richard T. Doermer School of Business.
 
2011
Inter-campus
• (August 6) President Emeritus John W. Ryan dies.
• Regional campus IT departments join University Information Technology Services.
 
Bloomington
• India Studies Program renamed the Madhusudan and Kiran C. Dhar India Studies Program.
• SoFA gallery renamed the Grunwald Gallery of Art, in honor of alumnus John Grunwald.
• (April 8) 'Vincent', an opera about artist Van Gogh, makes world premiere at IU.
• IU Cinema dedicated.
• Cyberinfrastructure Building dedicated.
• Severe spring storms wipe out hundreds of trees on campus.
 
Indianapolis
• School of Medicine's Glick Eye Center dedicated.
 
2012
Bloomington
• IU PhotoGraphics, which began operation in 1935 as part of the IU Extension Division, closed.
• Lilly Endowment awards IU’s Kelley School of Business $33 million to renovate undergraduate facilities
• The Marching Hundred performs at Super Bowl XLVI in Indianapolis 
• IU Libraries Film Archive accepted into the International Federation of Film Archives 
• Lauren K. Robel named Provost
 
Inter-campus
• Senior Linda Xiong wins competition for design of IU plaid.
• IU launches IU Online
 
Indianapolis
• Gene Tempel named Dean of new School of Philanthropy
 
Kokomo:
• Michael Harris steps down as chancellor; Sue Sciame-Giesecke named interim chancellor
 
Columbus
• IU Center for Art and Design dedicated
 
2013
Inter-campus
• Idalene Kesner named Dean of the Kelley School of Business 
 
Bloomington
• Joel Silver appointed director of Lilly Library
• Groundbreaking ceremonies held for the School of Global and International Studies 
• Andy Mohr and Bart Kaufmann fields dedicated
• IU Baseball makes first ever trip to the College World Series